The root chakra is the first the seven chakras. This chakra is the most instinctual and is our emotional survival centre responsible for our sense of smell and flight or fight responses.
The energy of the root chakra comes from the earth. It lies at the root of physical being and links the body with its environment and with the earth. The root chakra is associated with feeling safe, grounded and secure and is the foundation of the energy body. To achieve overall balance in our lives it is important to stabilise and balance this chakra first.
The root chakra in Sanskrit is known as Muladhara which means ‘root’ or ‘support’
Root chakra location: The root chakra is located at the base of the spine corresponding with the perineum, lower spine & physical body support
Body parts effected: Base of the spine, legs, feet and large intestine.
Balanced characteristics of the Root chakra
The root chakra is associated with the following characteristics:
- Feeling strong and confident, acting independently and caring for yourself
- Survival and Safety
- A sense of being grounded and comfortable
- Having good vitality and zest for life
- Being mindful and content with being still
Imbalanced root chakra and its effects
When the root chakra is blocked or out of balance you may experience:
- Living in fear and insecurity
- Anxiety and restlessness
- Low self-esteem
- The need of more emotional support
Balancing & opening the root chakra
There are many ways to balance the root chakra including connecting with nature and the earth. For example:
- Try gardening or taking your shoes off and taking a walk in the grass
- Find and follow your passion making it your lifes work
Certain essential oils, such as Cedarwood, Frankinsense, Black Pepper, Patchouli, Spikenard, Vetiver and Sandalwood, are very helpful in opening and balancing the root chakra as they provide a sense of grounding and centre the mind.
- Apply these oils using Aromacare’s Earth Chakra Aroma Roll On to the sacrum, back of neck and bottom of feet or;
- Place 6 drops of Aromacares Earth Chakra Essential Oil Blend into an aroma diffuser
Physical activity such as yoga can free blocked energy and stimulate an imbalanced root chakra. Incorporating grounding yoga poses such as Tadasana (Mountain Pose) & Virabhadrasana1 (Warrior 1) to your yoga practice is especially helpful in opening and balancing the root chakra. These poses encourage a downward flowing of energy aiding in confidence, strength and a sense of security.
- I feel safe and secure in my body and grounded to the earth
- I nurture my body, providing the nourishment it needs to be healthy
- I am calm, I can deal with all life occurrences, I am responsible
Music for the Root Chakra:
Chanting or toning sounds help balance the root chakra. The mantra sound that corresponds with the root chakra is LAM. Chanting the sound of LAM opens and strengthens this chakra.
Colours and gemstones such as ruby, garnet, red jasper, bloodstone, rose quartz and coral are also believed to bring the root chakra into balance.